"Bittersweet" sums up my feelings about this last presidental election as well as anything else, I suppose.
I am extremely impressed with our nation for electing our first black/African-American/whatever-the-current-PC-term-is President, I really am. It shows that, hopefully, our country can finally look at the issues at hand rather than at the color of someone's skin. Congratulations, USA, we have reached a major milestone here!
That is the "sweet". The "bitter" is the fact that Obama was elected at all! Yes, I voted for the "other guy"...sue me. As is my right, I really do not like Nobama bin Laden. I feel that he lacks the experience and the decision-making skill needed to hold the position of President. At the same time, I hope he proves me wrong, and becomes one of the greatest Presidents we've had.
Face it, elections these days are more of an "I voted for candidate X so candidate Y wouldn't win" scenario. When is the last time we truely felt connected to a President? When did we cease to care? It really doesn't help when our own elected state officials - who are supposed to be representing their constituants - vote against the people they represent. Electoral votes are where the money is, and what we the people think is vastly unimportant by comparison.
For the last ten Presidents or so, President Reagan excluded, the masses have not really stood behind our leader. When Kennedy was shot (I will not open that can of worms at this time), a great feeling of loss swept across the nation. How many people would have wept for Nixon or Clinton, four? Maybe five, but family members do not count.
What we need is a President that offers encouragement, advice, and honest commitment to our nation. Of course, President Obama cannot please everyone, but for Heaven's sake - please try! When is the last time a President tried to please the people over pleasing the establishment? I think President Reagan tried his best, though even his hands were tied when it came to matters that threatened the agenda of the government.
The problem is this: We keep electing politicians instead of citizens. This is what made Ronald Reagan great over everything else - he was one of us.
Until WE say "No more!", WE can never be in control. Until WE put PEOPLE into the Senate and Congress and the White House instead of politicians who harbor their own personal agendae, we will continue this downward sprial of distrust in our Government, displeasure with our current economic state, until we can feel safe at home and in public, and so much more.
No comments:
Post a Comment